Saturday, January 22, 2011

Field trip to the Mint and the Legislature...

On Friday when it was about -36 degrees Celsius, I went along with a very bumpy bus ride to a grade 4 field trip.  It was a blast!  I was dressed for the weather but somehow my face still burned at the end of the day.  The mint was actually sort of a boring thing to look at but our tour guide was incredibly intriguing!  That guy totally made the entire visit a blast.  I don't have much interest in how things are made but thanks to Lucas who remembers the details and could fill Wes in at the end of the day!  We had lunch at the legislature building.  I don't think I have been there before and so the building was really interesting .  We had the tour which was also very well done and learned many facts about the building.  Did you know in fact that the project manager at the time of construction actually stole materials from the building supplies to build his own home?  He was arrested before completion but needless to say there is an apartment building 3 blocks away, named after this Thomas Kelly guy.  It's called Kelly apartments.  He was sentenced to 2 years in prison and restitution of $1 million.  He ended up only paying back $30 000 and serving his sentence.  This story was really the highlight for all the students.  Of course the story of the golden boy was quite incredible too.  Did you know that he weighs 3000 lbs?  He was fixed up in 2002 due to the anticipation of a visit from the queen!
This field trip is one of my favorites that I've been to in a while.  (My fave of all time was the Royal Winnipeg Ballet!) 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds cool! I've so far only been on one field trip, can't wait to do more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and the pictures of facial similarities: in my opinion Sam & Lucas are both really good mixtures of the two of you, and Curtis looks more like you. Cool pics!

    ReplyDelete